Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Word of the Day: Trendelenburg

Norah had her first doctor's appointment yesterday. Didn't go exactly as I had imagined. I had no idea she was gonna be pricked in the heel a trillion times and have her heels squeezed dry of every ounce of blood. The whole process took nearly 30 minutes. Norah was screaming bloody murder. Mix compassion and anxiety together and you get a tear-streaked, sweat-drenched mama. Really, when I left that office beads of sweat were dripping from my forehead. All this emotional focus on my baby girl didn't stop me from wanting to punch the nurse in the face. Seriously, who draws blood from the heel of a screaming baby lying in the trendelenburg position? (Just a little phrase I picked up in dental hygiene school.)

Anywayz. With Norah lying on my chest not a half hour later, a smile swept across her face, yet I was still fuming. It was then that I yet again realized why we are supposed to be childlike. She's teaching me so much.

On to a less serious topic. She's in the 95th percentile in height and 75-90th percentile in weight. Somebody get this girl a basketball.



10 comments:

Melissa said...

Welcome to the dark side of wanted to punch nurses and Dr's faces.
It only takes having children to understand.
Sorry man.
I always try to act strong and not cry in front of them, but it never works.
I would like to say it gets easier.
But it doesn't for me.
I just like it to be as quick as possible.
My sisters a nurse and she said that she never wants to be the nurse that gives shots, cause he mate, who is, says she'll see the kids at the grocery store and they'll run screaming.
LOL

Lyric Payne said...

Once again all I have to say is AAAAAHHHHHH I need to kiss that face. She is so stinkin cute Hilary. I am in love already.

Quinn, Alexis, Jayden, and Owen Brown said...

hil she is SO beautiful!!! i NEED to hold her!!!! HAVE TO!!!! oh, and nobody warned you about the heel pricks?! what kind of sister am i? but the question is, why did it take 30 minutes?! jayden's just took a minute....that still didn't stop me from crying though.

Lindsay Brummer said...

could she be any more ADORABLE?!!! Yay mom, you made it through the heel stick... you can do ANYTHING NOW!!!

linds said...

Oh that's so sad! She's so cute though. I can't get over it. She and Reese can be teammates. That's right where Reese is at for percentiles, too! In fact send her over for a play date cuz Reese just got a bball hoop for her bday!

Erin Darrington said...

Man she's cute! Good team work guys!

Sijbrich said...

Um, why did you have to learn about the Trendelenburg position as a dental hygenist when you're working at the opposite end?

Jodiane said...

oh man what a horrible story. I had no idea either...at lest with this post i will know a little bit of what to expect (if i am ever expecting). And man that baby of yours is gorgeous, also i love that she will be a big lady, i am all about breeding for sports players

Alys n Kin said...

First of all she is beautiful! Wow I am so jealous of her growth...she will tower over me probably at the age of two...lol! Second thanks so much for the info on the ultrasound tech. I really would like to get into that program. I will check into the programs in my area. Hope you guys are doing well...ya that whole nurses or doctors poking your child is still really hard for me and mine is 12 :)

Karen Brown said...

I want girl babies! I have now claimed this little princess as mine! WHAT A CUTIE! Congratulations! I will get her her first B-Ball!