Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bloggy-Woggy

I
I have a weak linguistic immune system. For example, on my mission there was this cool elder who stuttered a little bit. The cadence of his speech fascinated me and struck me as oddly beautiful. Then a few weeks later a shy woman told me, “Oh, you stutter like me too?” I had always been an awkward kid, but was never told that I had a stuttering problem.

II

Do you recognize any of these as actual words?

Nap-a-rewski

Oh-Boo-yah

Then there’s the Rhymey-wymey agglutination:

Lunchy-wunchy

Cutesy-wutesy

Money-woney

Guacky-Wocky-Mole (our favorite food)

Hungy-gunk, Snack-a-roni, delish!, t-die-4! freakincute,warmsies, din-din, etc.


I don’t either, but still I say them almost every day. These all come from the American English dialect of Hilarese, what linguistic pathologists might call a “contagious language.” Is what the funny thing is, is that Hilary seems to have some control of her language, only talky-walking to me on that silly willy way, but once I pick it up I can’t put it down. And it’s a tar baby—the more I analyze and criticize this methoderewski of talking, the more it sticks.

III

One of these days I’m gonna go to a pizza place and say, “What do you recommend? Is it t-die-4? Okie-dokie. Can I get a large with pepperonicitos and some delish cheesy wheezy?” Or, if I ever pass law school, I’ll be in open court against Perry Mason on a capital case and say, “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury-rino, is what you must know is that the defendant must be found guilty of the crimey-poo beyond a reasonable doubtsy-woutsy.” That’s a malpractice suitsy-wuitsy waiting to happen.

I've always said I wanna be just like Hilary. If talkin like a weirdo is the price I have to pay to pick up on her other qualities, I'm willing to pay that pricerino.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

This is awesome.

Lyric Payne said...

Here's a new one for the both of you that somehow has found its way into our family...coldy colders! Maxwell said it the other day to one of his friends and his friend just gave him the funniest look. I was laughing so hard inside!

Lyric Payne said...

I just thought of another House of Paynes favorite...homeywork. Andy, I'll bet you have a lot of that right now. Probably even more than Maxwell!

Andrew Jorgensen said...

Poor Maxy-waxy.
The reason I wrote this blog is that one time I got cross at Hilary for tickling me when and where I didn't want to be tickled. And she could say, "Andy, stop being so dramatic," I said, still cross, "Don't go and be all bossy-wossy now." she was quiet for about 10 seconds and then she laughed for ten minutes straight, off and on. Not exaggerating.

Molly said...

You two are just so cute I could pukey wukey or hurl-a-rino. You choose.

But you did make me laugh.

April said...

I wish you had more time to post, because I love to read them! Andy would love my dad. He has a made up word for everything! example: he wont say breasts or boobs, he calls them scooby dos. He has his own language.

Jodiane said...

Yeah, don't talk like that in class...i will hate on you like i do all the other weirdies...ok so i am one too. but i cant stop hating, i already think your the coolest (that mad scientist hair comment was given with admiration) don't ruin it by being lame in class. JK Jk Smiles

Sara said...

Hillary- We didn't have more kids. Those kids were a niece and nephew, but it does sound like they are ours. Sorry about the confusion. If we had two more kids right now you could bet I would not be blogging or doing anything else. Email me at saradhill@yahoo.com I want to catch up and see how your doing?

Emily said...

You guys are my favies!

Melissa said...

Ok so Hillary that's awesome you guys owe us dinner. Congrats.
Masaru's birthday is coming up on the 2nd of March. I think it's a Monday. So you're invited to that.
Give me a call and tell me what you wanna do for dinner.
You guys can come here and just get pizza or something. Or you can make something. I think it'll be easier with our kids and putting them in bed here etc etc
Plus another night or this Sunday if you'd like you can just come over to dinner.
But I'm not doing anything unless you call me and we can have a chat.

Melissa Taylor said...

Hilary-I love reading your blog! I need your email to invite you to mine.....

Heide Gentry-Kemp said...

Hilary~ hey stranger... How the heck are you doing? I have not talked to you in forever, so I thought that I would drop you a line and say hi! Blog me back or call me and fill me in. Hope that all is well!!!