Sunday, April 24, 2011

Norah pneumonia update





While Norah was visiting her grandparents in Nampa, she had a mild case of pneumonia. She took some breathing treatments and was unhappy for a couple of days but recovered without having to be admitted to the hospital.

On Sunday, April 17th we drove from Boise to Moscow and we heard Norah cough a little. By the morning she was coughing and struggling with breathing so we went in to our doctor’s office and they sent us to the hospital in Moscow. Norah was struggling to breathe—indicated by her neck and belly muscles having to work to breathe. For Norah, being poked and prodded at the E.R. was terrifying. First, a pulse oximeter—a little red light thing that wraps around the toe and measures how much oxygen is in the blood. Second, a blood draw and an intravenous catheter (I.v.). Norah was screaming, mom was crying. Meanwhile, what to her must have been a scary plastic thing got shoved over her face (for oxygen). By the time the E.R. had called the anesthetist to put a respirator tube in, Norah had passed out from exhaustion and respiratory failure. I was crying too. They raced her up to the O.R. for the intubation—that’s what they call it when they shove the tube down into her lungs. Hilary and I hadn’t realized how dire this was until we saw the panic of the doctors, nurses, anesthetist.

The intubation was not easy and took two tries. When we got up to Spokane, the doctors said that Norah had likely aspirated something, and that it was probably stomach acid that had pulled up and sucked down because she was breathing with so much force. I guess this is typical. At one point her oxygen saturation in her blood dropped into the single digits. They decided that Norah had to be flown to Spokane. So the helicopter came. The helicopter people loaded Norah onto their gurney. Then they decided that Norah would be better in the jet because the jet has better respirator equipment and respiratory drugs. So they unloaded Norah and we waited for the jet to dodge a snowstorm and land in Pullman.

Our good friends from our ward and law school, Eric Reiersen and Nate Cuoio, were there. We gave Norah a priesthood blessing: a special prayer with hands placed on her head. Hilary and Norah rode the ambulance to Pullman and the jet to Spokane, then an ambulance to Sacred Heart hospital. Norah is now in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU). She had her 15-month birthday here and tomorrow will be her 1-week anniversary.

On her first days here, Norah got a little worse. We’ve learned a lot about respirators and pneumonia treatment. Though the doctor told us that the respirator machine is fairly simple technology, I am impressed. And my description here is based on a limited and probably faulty understanding, but I’ll give it a shot. The machine can control the volume, frequency, humidity, pressure (in various forms), and oxygen concentration for each breath. When Norah was first here, it only “assisted” her by adding a little pressure to open up her lungs as she breathed. But Norah wanted to breathe quick and shallow—like a pant, and that wasn’t getting enough oxygen into her system. So they had to paralyze her by giving her muscle-relaxing drugs (in addition to the sedatives—some kind of narcotic I think), and leave the breathing to the respirator entirely. They also turned Norah on her stomach because the best blood flow in the lungs comes from the posterior inferior region of the lungs, and so if you lay on your back gravity pulls the edema and mucous down and doesn’t allow the blood to circulate well. (Hilary told me to put that last sentence; I don’t know what it means).

Norah has been stable but not making too much progress for the past 4 days. She gets respiratory therapy treatments every couple of hours. It includes a percussive massage thing and inhalation aerosols of some sort. They have not been able to identify exactly what caused the infection, but they say that it is typical to not know what caused the initial infection when it was a virus. Norah has also been on strong antibiotics. The doctor says that her biggest pneumonia factor now was probably the aspiration: the breathing in of some fluid, probably stomach acid, likely during the initial intubation. Norah has great nurses, doctors and respiratory therapists. Norah is making slow progress, it seems. The doctors, when pressed for an optimistic but reasonable prognosis say that Norah might be able to come home in another week. We thank God we live in a time and place where her life could be saved thanks to technology and medicine and care available. We’re thankful for the good doctors and especially nurses.

We are overwhelmed with how much love and support we have received from our families, friends, and even strangers. Tonight Hilary and I were invited to a wonderful Easter dinner at the home of a friend of a friend of the mother in law of Hilary’s sister. We always have to wonder why bad things happen to the innocent and vulnerable like Norah. And though I’m not trying to answer that question fully here, I can say that Hilary and I have learned much and seen many great things come of this—

We have learned that our Heavenly Father loves and cares and worries for us as we would worry and care for Norah, but in a more infinite and perfect way. We have learned that our faith needs to grow, but also that it is strong enough for us to rely on. We have seen the grace of God manifested in the kindness of others. This one is hard to explain but it is undoubtedly the clearest truth we have learned from all of this. When others fast, pray, bring gifts, and feed us, we witness how friends, family, and strangers are all God’s family and there are powerful bonds of love. The bond that I see as I watch Hilary at Norah’s side—combing her hair, holding her hand, singing to her “whenever I hear the sound of a bird or walk by a lilac tree”—is the same bond that Heavenly Father has for us. And I see that bond between everyone who is praying for Norah or helping me by sharing notes or feeding us dinner. God’s love is always there among us, but it is made more powerfully manifest in trials like this.

Why all this learning for her dad has to be at Norah’s expense I can’t explain, but someday I’m confident I will understand it. Thank you all for your love and prayers and healing thoughts.

27 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank you for posting this as we had no idea.
I'm so sorry guys.
Poor Norah and poor Hilarandious.
I wish I could be there to help out. I feel so usless down here in Boise being able to do nothing but let you know we're thinking of you guys and Norah and you bothw ill be in our prayers.
Please, please, please keep us updated or I'll pass out with worry.

Cicily said...

I'm so sorry Andrew and Hilary! Poor little Norah. I am thinking and praying for you constantly! I love you guys so much!! Thanks for the update!!

Shellee said...

My mom sent an email your mom sent about Norah. You guys have been in my prayers. It must be so hard for you to watch your little girl be sick like that. Thanks for sharing your feelings and you'll continue to be in our prayers out in ohio.

Kelli said...

my mom sent me an email as well. there is nothing harder than watching your child in a helpless, painful state. we are praying and fasting for you also! i hope you do get to go home in a week.

Heide Gentry-Kemp said...

Hil,
I just heard about your sweet Norah, you are in our prayers. She is a strong little girl!! We love you! Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Unknown said...

We miss you guys. Glad Norah is doing better. Prayers are coming from the desert..

Molly said...

Seeing those pictures makes it so much more real and heart breaking. She's a strong little thing though and she's going to be fine.
Love you all

Anonymous said...

Andy and Hilary, we are so sorry to hear about sweet Norah's illness. We heard about what happened through the Reiersens. Your faith is inspiring! We will be praying for your family, especially lil' Norah. Hugs and love to you all!

The Cornett Family said...

This just breaks my heart, but I'm glad she's being treated in a great care unit. I wish there was more that I could do, but know that your family is in our prayers as well. I hope sweet little Norah improves with miraculous speed!

adam warr said...

We've been so worried. I am glad to hear that Norah is making progress...slow as it may be. We keep you in our prayers. We can't wait until she can come home.

Davis and Laura said...

My heart aches for you and your family, Andrew! And you all are in our prayers and fasts! We love you guys and hope the best for Norah. Much love from the Katseanes family!

Miles Family said...

I am so sorry, our prayers will be with little Norah and your family.

etreiersen said...

Thanks for the update. We have been thinking and praying often for Norah. I am glad to hear she is slowly improving and hope she is able to come home soon. Those are the cutest/sad pictures I have ever seen. I am glad to hear she has such good nurses and doctors, that makes such a difference. We will keep all three of you in our prayers.

Mark, Stacy, & Jack said...

We also got the email update, but it was also good to hear from you, thanks for sharing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys and we are hoping for the best for little Norah.

Quinn, Alexis, Jayden, and Owen Brown said...

i'm in the library right now bawling. i tried to hold it back the whole time, but that last paragraph did me in. we are praying so hard for you guys and little baby norah. thanks for the updates. keep em' comin'.
love you!

Lyric Payne said...

That was absolutely beautiful. I'm sobbing thanks to you, but it's one of those sobs that lifts the spirit and helps me to know of our Heavenly Father's love. Thank you so much for sharing that with all of us. Hilary has always been a pillar of strength to me. She has always had so much faith, and now I see that the two of you are a perfect pair because you are just the same. Norah is so good and sweet and smiley and beautiful. We are saying lots of prayers for her. In fact, Steve forgot to mention Norah in our family prayer last night and Capri said afterward, "Daddy, you forgot Norah". Sophie would have said the same thing if Capri wouldn't have gotten to it first! We love you guys. Huge Payne hugs!!!

Terance-N-Jaime said...

Glad things are looking better. I've been talking to Heavenly Father since I heard. Every time I look at Dawnley I think about it. Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear she is doing better & they are even thinking of sending you home. Heavenly Father loves us all! Loves to your family!

Isaak and Jackie said...

We just heard of your hard situation Saturday evening at stake conference and since then we have been praying and thinking of you guys.
Seeing your child suffer and not being able to do "anything" for them is very unbearable, but your faith and faith and trust in the Lord is an example to us all.
During the beginning of this trial you were assisting us in our house hunt and we had no idea what you were going through. Sorry for being selfish and not being aware of your needs, please let us know if we can do anything for you, until then we'll keep you in our prayers. Thanks for the update!

Unknown said...

Hilary and Andrew, im sorry to hear that your family is going though these hard times.My prayers will be with your little Norah. I hope she will get better soon to come back home. You have a beautiful strong family.
Brenda gomez

Sijbrich said...

I'm sitting here speechless with tears in my eyes. Thank you for your amazing examples of faith and love.
Like everyone else, I'll be praying for Norah as well as for you guys.
Please keep us updated as much as your time allows.

Erin Darrington said...

Oh my gosh, I had no idea! We will pray for each of you, especially Norah. I will put her name on the prayer roll at the temple tomorrow. Please keep us updated as much as you can. Norah is so lucky to be surrounded by your faith and love.

Mike said...

Jorgensens-

We're glad for the update on Norah and just want you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Cindy Zickgraf said...

What a strong and powerful family you are. I am touched by your strength, courage and faith. Little beautiful Norah and you both will be in our prayers. The Zickgrafs

Anonymous said...

Andrew and Family,
So sorry to hear about this but also glad things are heading in a positive direction now. The marvels of modern day technology really are a blessing...
James

Barbara said...

Just wanted you to know we have added our many prayers and temple prayers to your list. We love you all very much and though trials are so taxing, we too are able to look back and see God's hand in our lives. Often, though we wouldn't wish the trial back, many of them we wouldn't change, for they bring us closer to our Heavenly Father and close to being like Him. Thanks for your faith and tireless example of love and learning. This is Jesse and Becky, not Barb:)

Brett & Hailey Cahoon said...

Boy I wish I were up there near you. I'm not sure what I would do but I still wish it. This breaks my heart. I tried to explain the situation to Brett's mom after I talked to you the other day and was in tears. I find myself there again. We're thinking about you constantly, praying for you and so glad for improvements - though the new challenges are hard as well.

Lots of love! The Cahoons

J & J said...

Wow...intense. This is Jenelle form the Blackhurst ten. I experienced a small part of your story taking my son Evan to the ER three times for breathing problems. Yes thank goodness for breathing treatments and modern medicine. My blessings to Norah and both of you.